I started off a bit disappointed, because this seemed like little more than a duller version of Patriot; the writing felt meandering, the humor more surface-level, never as witty or pithy. Turned out I was looking at it wrong: it’s more of a drama than I’d figured from the premise, with the comedy falling a bit further into the background than it does in Patriot. It’s its own thing, delicately balanced, and a few episodes in it really clicked.
About star ratings
My ratings are subjective. I’m not aiming for a perfect ranking of comparative artistic merit, just trying to represent how I feel about stuff. Here’s what they mean:
- Personal favorite. I simply love it, warts and all.
- Something special. Highly recommended.
- Good, but unremarkable. I’ll probably forget about it.
- A waste of time. Not recommended.
- Practically insulting. Soulless garbage. (Rare!)