I’m glad women can use violence for good too, but this movie is… kinda basic? It’s as if they couldn’t get approval for “girl power” without putting in some bad tropes and clichés to balance it out. Yes, representation matters, but it depresses me that this is what we’re settling for as progress. Excusing it as an escapist piece of pulpy action would be fine, but I don’t think it’s very good at that, either.
About star ratings
My ratings are subjective. I’m not aiming for a perfect ranking of comparative artistic merit, just trying to represent how I feel about stuff. Here’s what they mean:
- Personal favorite. I simply love it, warts and all.
- Something special. Highly recommended.
- Good, but unremarkable. I’ll probably forget about it.
- A waste of time. Not recommended.
- Practically insulting. Soulless garbage. (Rare!)